Monday, April 03, 2006

The Last Leaf

The Last Leaf

I was thinking of old friends today
And how many of them have slipped away.
Moved, got married, or stopped calling so much,
Found new friends, got busy, and just lost touch.

It reminded me of falling leaves.

Every autumn the leaves fall from the trees.
Some stay longer than others, but eventually

Each leaf must fall, I'm told,
Leaving the tree alone to face the cold.

Why is it that in the time of utmost need !

The leaves would seek to leave the tree?
And when we need our friends around
We look and they can not be found?

Of course these friendships come and go
And in the spring new leaves will grow.
But I prefer autumn friends of old
With crackling laughter and colors bold.

It saddens me now I must admit
How somehow, someway, I did forget
Laughing with old friends of mine
During summers when the sun would shine.

And then I thought of you.

That one stubborn leaf that won't let go.
That clings despite the winds that blow.
Fighting ice, and snow, and winter's stings
Hanging on right through till spring.

So I guess that's what you are to me -
The very last leaf to leave the tree.
I know it seems silly, but it's true.
When I see that last leaf...

...I think of you.


I thought I would add something to it... (In the eyes of the last leaf)::

And the last leaf, so I was
and of the others, I mourned the loss
I clung to my tree, in the cold.. alone
facing the weather, regretting why was the tree sown

I should have looked at the brighter side
That time will one day, turn the tide
'cause for every malady, time has the cure
there would be new leaves, I am sure

and then I thought of you...

I must admit that didn't let go
and I clung despite that winds that blow
and at last, I waited and the spring came
and the new leaves that sprouted asked my name

I said I am the leaf from the last season
and I clung till now for a definite reason..
I have mourned enough for my friend long before,
and lived long enough to live any more

Sure enough the sun is shining bright
and you are the friendship's ray of light
but remember that the tree can grow its new friends
but after a season of loneliness .....
this is how my life ends

1 comment:

anu said...

It is the very instinct of human that tends it to mourn and repent,

for the past that is gone and never be mend.

Lost we are in the altitude of solace,

moving fast but gradually loosing our pace.

We thrall ourselves for the golden bird,

at the end of the day on death bed,

we are back to square one.